Our best pillow-choosing tips for side and stomach sleepers.
We love travelling and exploring, but we’d still say that the best place in the world is in a warm, cozy bed, blissfully asleep, unaware and resting for the day ahead. Truly—sleep is pretty much the best thing ever, especially when it’s high-quality sleep that’s comfortable, luxurious and restful. At Skylark+Owl, we realized a long time ago that there is no great night of sleep without the right pillow. Whether you’re a side sleeper or a stomach sleeper, it’s vital to choose the right pillow for the best night’s rest.
We’re breaking down what you need to know about choosing the perfect pillow for side and stomach sleeping, from the pros and cons of the sleep positions themselves and our favorite tips for side and stomach sleepers. We’ve included things to remember when choosing a pillow and our pick for the best pillow for side and stomach sleeping.
The pros and cons of side and stomach sleeping
No matter whether you sleep on your side or your stomach, comfort is key—and you don’t necessarily ever need to change your sleep position as long as you’re comfortable. However, there are pros and cons to both side and stomach sleeping. Here are the pros to side and stomach sleeping:
- Side sleepers often have less pain in the low back, since a side sleeping position can take the pressure off of their lower back and hips.
- Sleeping on your stomach can reduce snoring.
- Side sleeping reduces the chance of snoring and can improve digestion.
There are also negative sides to both sleep positions since side sleeping can affect your joints and stomach sleeping can lead to spinal issues. Here are the cons to side and stomach sleeping:
- Side sleepers tend to deal with shoulder pain due to the increased pressure on the shoulders during sleep.
- Since your weight tends to center in your middle, sleeping on your stomach can put a lot of extra pressure on the spine.
- Side sleeping can also highlight neck pain if your sleeping position pinches your neck too close to your shoulders.
- Stomach sleeping can cause neck pain since the neck is typically twisted the entire time you’re asleep.
Our favourite tips for side and stomach sleepers
When it comes to ensuring restful, comfortable sleep as a side and stomach sleeper, a lot of it comes down to the pillow underneath your head. Side sleepers will want to look for a fluffy pillow to make up for the space between their head, neck and shoulders, while stomach sleepers should look for a firmer, flatter pillow that won’t disrupt their spinal alignment. Here are some other tips for sleeping well on your side and stomach:
- Stomach sleepers dealing with low back pain might want to consider placing another pillow under their stomach at night to take the pressure off of their low back, while side sleepers might want another pillow behind their backs for extra support.
- Side sleepers should either add another pillow or look for a new one if they’re consistently wrenching their arm underneath their pillows for extra support.
- Side and stomach sleepers should both use any extra pillows they might need for support during the night.
- Side and stomach sleepers should get in bed each night in a position that helps their back feel the most aligned since that’s the best way to encourage the body into a consistently healthy sleep position.
Key things to remember when choosing a pillow for side and stomach sleepers
When choosing the best pillow for side sleeping, look for a fluffy pillow that doesn’t leave your neck, shoulders and head looking for extra support. Since side sleepers sleep in a position that opens space between the neck and shoulders, a softer pillow is key.
When choosing the best pillow for stomach sleeping, a flatter and firmer pillow is your best choice. Since a stomach sleeping position is already not optimal for the spine, there’s no need to add an additional loft or fill to raise the neck into an overly elevated position.
The best pillow for side and stomach sleeping
At Skylark+Owl, we pride ourselves on making sure that everyone has the perfect pillow—regardless of their sleep position and sleep style. With pillows that offer different firmness levels and fill, everyone is sleeping well. The best pillow for side sleepers is our Refined Pillow, filled with a down-mimicking material that gives you all of the softness without any of the allergies. The best pillow for stomach sleepers is our Essential Pillow, which offers premium comfort with a cozy, hypoallergenic fill and has a luxurious yet minimal loft for those who sleep on their stomachs.
We’re big believers that sleep styles should inform your pillow choice, which is why we’re proud to offer pillows for every rester, regardless of the way they sleep. Whether your loved ones are back sleepers, side sleepers or stomach sleepers, Skylark+Owl has the pillow.